Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thing 2 turns eight


Eight years ago at about 7pm Michael and I were speeding toward Piedmont Hospital and I was cautiously thinking "Well, this labor is not too bad." A complete change of opinion and three hours later, my littlest girl made her debut. All nine pounds of her. I can't believe she's already eight!

I love my silly, skinny girl with all the long brown hair so much. And she loves dogs more than anyone in the universe ever, but please don't bring an actual live dog very close to her or she might have to climb the nearest adult. Her favorite things are beanie babies, laughing, listening to music, driving her big sister crazy, reading Calvin and Hobbes aloud, meeting new friends, coordinating wild outfits, and eating pizza. My delicate flower can eat you under the table and issue some pretty impressive burps afterward. She keeps us laughing. We are so thankful for her.



With all that hair to manage, she adores hair accessories. Several times she has come into the studio casually dropping hints about new headbands. So I made a quick blue and pink felt flower and glued them with some leaves to a couple of inexpensive drugstore headbands. They are not as big as they look in these photos. That pink one is this really violent shade that does not photograph well, and I can't lighten the pictures without blowing out the pink completely, but you get the idea. I might be able to catch a photo of one in her hair later.


I found the chihuahua T-shirt at Old Navy the other day, and I made a quick skirt to go with it from my stash of Washi fabric. It's basically made like the Oliver + S Lazy Day skirt. I love the tidy finish and splash of color provided by the ribbon hem.


And of course the traditional mixtape (previously seen here, here, and here). I just realized I never blogged Thing 1's birthday mixtape last year. Oops. I'll have to do that. I love putting these together, but after three years of doing it for both girls I'm starting to run out out of upbeat, good, age appropriate songs. My goal when I put these together is to avoid Top 40, give them some songs they've heard, introduce some songs that I love, and find some that are new to both of us. This is basically self-defense since I will have to listen to it about a thousand times in the van. Man, I forgot how much I love The Safety Dance. And I reacquainted myself with college music that makes me kinda cringe now but I secretly still dig it (Book Of Love).

15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your daughter. Time really does fly with kids around. My little boy was 7 on Monday, how the heck did he get to that age.

    Funny about the dog thing. My 9 year old daughter, Henrietta just loves dogs, and would love one of her own - Im still thinking about that one. Amanda.....x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, "Thing 2"! What a sweet picture of the two of you! And I love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to her! Such a fun age. My "little man" will be 10 this year :( Time sure flies.
    The skirt is awesome! And the mix tape is cool. "I'm gonna be (500 miles)" is like my most favorite upbeat song ever. Whenever I hear it my husband just shakes his head because I'm transformed to a girl again and I do silly little dances to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loe that new outfit, so dashing, so much panache! And the mix tape is so personal and loving. Good goin' mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes yes yes The safety Dance is one of my all time favourites - I love it. And The Proclaimers 500 miles is a close second - I love this CD idea x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW ..... just, WOW!!

    She and Liv could start a fan club with their love/hate dog relationship.

    Happy Birthday to Her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of the birthday mixed 'tape'! Going to have to do that for my kiddos...if I remember! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to Thing 1. Mine will turn 8 this year, too. Wow. I love your idea of the mix tapes. My daughter loves music and would probably like that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My oldest has a May 10 bday too! And also turned 8 this year. However my labor started on the 9th; just a few hours after an argument with my husband over whether I was considered a mother yet (the 9th was Mother's Day that year). Maybe my boy was trying to help me prove my point!

    Happy birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rock Lobster! It's a mixtape must :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A little late...happy birthday to your girl...

    Kisses from México

    Just want to let you know that my girl made one card for "mothers day" from a printable of yours (momma bird cards), you can find it in my blog, I also put a link to your blog in the post...
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy birthday, girl!!
    love the prezzies...and the mix tape idea totally rocks! wish I had done that for my littles...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post. Lucky girl! Tell her happy birthday from all of us, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the birthday good wishes, y'all! And the kind words about the presents.

    Stephanie H, I can't believe your husband would attempt to argue with a woman 1) who is nine months pregnant 2) pull the wires of a loaded bomb like that about whether she's a mother or not. He must have a secret deathwish. LOL.

    Ana Laura, how sweet! thanks for the link.

    Rae, mixtapes for everyone! Maybe next year?

    Robyn, will definitely do. I miss you guys, we need another catch up session.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!